The S/4 Transaction SE38 fails if you are using the Syniti custom program /BOA/ZDIRECTLOAD to perform a Delete and Append action on a client custom Z table with a million and a half records. The following error message displays:
Category ABAP programming error
Runtime Errors TIME_OUT
ABAP Program /BOA/ZDIRECTLOAD
Application Component Not assigned
Date and Time 12.05.2021 07:16:28 (CST)
Execute the Syniti program /BOA/ZDIRECTLOAD in background processing to prevent timeout. First, your S/4HANA Basis Team must set up an SAP directory to store the export file. With the use of an SAP Application Server to post files, any execution can be processed in background processing for the SE38 program /BOA/DIRECTLOAD [Delete and Append or Append Records].
Access the following S/4 Transaction to complete this process:
- SE38—ABAP Editor
- AL11—Display SAP Directories
- CGEZ—Upload File
- SM50—Work Processes of AS Instance
To set the program to run in the background, perform the steps in these sections:
- Confirm SAP directory with the S/4HANA Basis Team.
- Stage the export file.
- Confirm that the file upload was successful.
- Execute the SE38 Program /BOA/DIRECTLOAD in background processing.
- NOTE: This example is specifically for the ABAP program; however, this process
- will generally work for any programs you wish to run in the background.
Confirm SAP Directory with the S/4HANA Basis Team
Use S/4 Transaction AL11 [Display SAP Directories] to view the directory and confirm the file exists once staged.
Stage the Export File
- Use the S/4 Transaction CG3Z [Upload File] to upload the file to the respective SAP directory.
- Specify the file to be used in the Source file on front end field.
- Specify the target file to be moved to the application server in the Target file on application server field. In addition to the directory path, include the /FILENAME.TXT.
- Specify the Transfer format for data as ASC [ASCII] instead of the the BIN [Binary] option which may be default.
- Execute the upload.
Confirm the Upload
Navigate back to AL11 [Display SAP Directories] to confirm that the file upload was successful.
Execute the SE38 Program /BOA/DIRECTLOAD in Background Processing
- Specify the custom Z table that is being used in the Table to Load field.
- Select the appropriate action:
- Delete and Append or
- Append Records.
- NOTE: The Default Packet Size for the Delete>/dt> and Append action is 100,000.
- Syniti recommends you reduce this number to 1,000.
- Specify the file on the Application Server in the Application Server File Name field.
- Under Delimiter select No Separator.
NOTE: This selection works best with uploads in ASC file format.
- Under File Structure check Field Order Matches tbl def.
- From the transaction Header Menu Path, select Program > Execute in Background [F9] option and follow the prompts.
- Click the check mark on the Background Print Parameters page, accepting the defaults.
- Define Start Time parameters as needed. Check the Immediate Start check box to start the process immediately.
- To monitor the job progress through S/4 Transaction SM50 [Work Processes of AS Instance], scroll through the active list of jobs and look for the program /BOA/DIRECTLOAD in the Name of Program Being Executed column.
- Double-click the row to display the DB Statistics.
- Refresh to monitor the Read/Insert/Update/Delete actions as needed.
If you need any additional help with this process, feel free to reach out to us in a ticket at support.syniti.com.