Issue: Due to high load/usage, IIS displays memory usage of >1.3GB and the application becomes slow and unstable and eventually generates System Out of Memory exceptions.
Version: IIS 7 or 7.5
Applicable to all versions of CranSoft or DSP
NOTE: This should not be necessary and is a stopgap solution only. The final resolution will depend on the cause of the excess memory usage and may involve any or all of the following:
- Moving foreground activities to the background.
- Redesigning pages, views, validations and business rules to work on less data at once.
- Reviewing custom implemented functionality to make sure it is designed efficiently.
- Reallocating users to an alternate web server.
Steps to schedule a daily application pool recycle:
1. Open IIS by selecting the Windows Start/ Administrative Tools/Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager option.
2. Expand the Server node on the left side of the window.3. Click on Application Pools under the Server Name on the left side of the window.4. Click on the CranSoft /DSP Application Pool and then click on the Recycling Link under the Actions Menu on the right side of the window.5. Verify/update the values on the Edit Application Pool Recycling Settings screen as below:
- If checked, uncheck the Fixed Intervals check box..
- If checked, uncheck the Memory Based Maximums check box.
- Check the Specific Time(s): checkbox.
6. Enter a time to recycle the Pool when it will cause minimal user interruption. NOTE: users' sessions will be terminated when the application pool recycles, however downtime will be very brief (a few seconds, typically).
7. Click the Next button.
8. On the Recycling Events to Log screen, Check the Schedule Time(s) check box so an Event Log will be generated when the recycling happens. Click the Finish button.