This article provides an overview of the Impact and Lineage add-on, which delivers actionable data impact and lineage capabilities across Syniti’s solutions.
What is Impact and Lineage?
The Impact and Lineage add-on offers data lineage tracking, impact analysis and metadata scanning coupled with the power of Syniti’s DSP and Syniti Cloud software for end-to-end data management.
This add-on further strengthens Syniti’s singular product vision. For example, debugging efforts associated with complex data migration scenarios can be reduced from hours to minutes per incident, delivering significant cost savings. Visual data lineage and impact analysis also greatly simplifies compliance efforts in which understanding how data flows across systems and processes is critical.
Simply put, Impact and Lineage increases data understanding and reduces the impact of change.
What problems does Impact and Lineage solve?
The Impact and Lineage add-on solves 2 problems that customers face:
- Users don’t understand what will happen if they make a technical change, so they are unable to trust that the change will have the desired impact. This is called impact.
- Users don’t understand where the data they work with comes from, so they are unable to trust that the data is accurate . This is called lineage.
Regardless of the customer’s project - data migration, data quality, data governance, master data management, metadata management, for example - knowing how the data got to them and what happens if they make a change are KEY things to know.
How does Impact and Lineage work?
Impact and Lineage is a three-step process:
- Analyze flow, metadata, stored procedures, views, etc. to figure out the connections and crunches all the programming code.
- Document lineage along the way and build the diagram behind the scenes.
- Visualize data lineage in an interactive map or push it to a third-party metadata solution.
What are the Benefits of Impact and Lineage?
Benefits to the Impact and Lineage add-on include:
- Reduce the time required to make changes to data systems and processes
- Decrease the risk of process interruptions from technical changes and ELT/Integration development activities
- Increase trust in data by understanding the source of data and how it is changed across processes
- Improve delivery time for analytics and reports to management
- Ensure regulatory compliance on reports through full traceability to source data
- Decrease system downtime and user disruption via well-understood and scoped test coverage of technical changes
How is Impact and Lineage integrated into the DSP?
The Impact and Lineage add-on is integrated across Migration, Quality and Master Data Management:
How can I utilize Impact and Lineage?
For more information on how to enhance your Syniti solutions with Impact and Lineage, please contact your sales representative.